For many of us, coffee is a very important part of the day. If you rely on coffee to jumpstart you in the morning then you may want something more than just the standard drip-style coffee maker. Programmable coffee makers are very convenient tools that can ensure you get your daily dose without having to spend time making it or worry about turning it off when you’re trying to rush out the door.
Things to Consider
This article will cover the things you should consider when looking for a programmable coffee maker so that you can choose one that is just right for you.
How much coffee you drink
This will determine the size of the coffee maker you need as well as how much it’s capable of making at a time. Some coffee makers can only prepare a single serving which is fine if it’s just for you and you don’t need much to get you going, or there are larger options that can make a lot of coffee for a lot of people.
Think about how many people are going to want coffee and how often, and that will give you a good idea for the output you’ll want your coffee maker to offer.
Price and cost of use
Financially, there are two things to consider when purchasing a new coffee maker. First is the up-front cost of the coffee maker itself and second is what it will cost to use it. For example, a simple drip-style coffee maker that only needs paper filters and your choice of coffee may cost less than something that is capable of making more complicated drinks that require more ingredients.
Naturally, a programmable coffee maker is going to be a little more expensive than a simple, non-programmable machine but it’s also going to be able to offer more benefits. Think about what you’re going to make with the coffee maker. Will it just be plain coffee, or do you want something that is capable of making frappucinos and other more complicated drinks?
When you know what you want your coffee maker to be able to do you can look at how much coffee makers with those capabilities cost.
This just boils down to how the coffee maker looks. If you want something that looks neat and goes with your kitchen, then it would be a good idea to keep that in mind while you shop. If the look isn’t a big deal to you, then you can move on to other attributes that might be more important in finding what will suit you best.
There are a few types of programmable coffee maker to consider, depending on whether or not you want something that is going to simply make drip-style coffee or something with additional features.
For example, there are also cold brewers that can help you with making things like iced coffee. There are also thermal coffee makers that strive to keep the coffee hot so you don’t have to worry about it being cold if you can’t get to it right away.
There are also single-serve options and programmable coffee makers that double as espresso makers for when you want to switch things up.
Ease of use
Some programmable coffee makers only have a few buttons while others have more options and are therefore more complicated to use. If you want something simple, then you may also not be interested in too many special features. It’s good to keep in mind that the fewer things the coffee maker is used for, the simpler it’s going to be to use.
When using complicated features you can always refer to the instructions or ask a member of staff wherever you decide to purchase the coffee maker.
There are three main filter options that come into play when shopping for a programmable coffee maker. These are the paper filter, which is the most popular, the metal filter, which can be re-used, and the water filter.
Many coffee makers use a paper filter as they tend to be cheap and easy to deal with. You simply throw them away after use and rinse the holder if needed. A metal filter on the other hand means you don’t need to keep buying filters, but it will need to be washed after every use.
There are several features that a programmable coffee maker can offer. One of the most convenient is being able to set a daily start time, which means you won’t have to worry about starting the coffee maker in the morning. It will begin by itself and a fresh pot will be ready to go by the time you’re ready to drink it.
Some coffee makers can also turn themselves off automatically, so you don’t have to worry about whether or not you’ve forgotten to turn it off before heading to work for the day.
Some programmable coffee makers will also allow you to pause the process in order to get a cup before it’s complete, which is convenient if you’re in a hurry.
|Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker||$||4.2/5|
|Keurig K250 Single-Serve Programmable Coffee Maker||$$$||4.0/5|
|Hamilton Beach 46205 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker||$$||4.2/5|
|Braun KF7150BK Brew Sense Drip Coffee Maker||$$||4.1/5|
|Cuisinart DCC-3200W 14C Glass Carafe Programmable Coffeemaker||$$$||4.0/5|
|OXO on Barista Brain Coffee Maker||$$$||4.1/5|
|Hamilton Beach 12-Cup Coffee Maker||$$||4.1/5|
|Mr. Coffee Advanced Brew Coffee Maker||$||4.0/5|
|Capresso MT600 Plus Coffee Maker||$$||4.0/5|
|Hamilton Beach Brewstation Dispensing Coffee Machine||$||4.1/5|
Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
The first machine in this roundup of the best programmable coffee makers is the Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker. What drew us into this product right away was its small price point. You will find many coffee makers that are overpriced and still do not offer as many features as ones that are under $50!
The Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker comes with lots of features to ensure you have a great cup of coffee every single day. These features include:
- One of the most affordable coffeemakers you can find
- Comes in the color black
- Has the ability to brew up to 4 cups at a time
- There is an off and on light so you can always know when the coffee maker is on or off.
- The filter basket can easily be removed by just lifting it out. This ensures that you can easily clean it and fill it whenever you need to—fantastic for people who have never used a coffee maker before.
- One of the best features of the product is the classic Mr. Coffee “pause n serve” feature. This allows you to stop mid brew to pour a cup of coffee without risk of it dripping everywhere or falling over you.
- There is a dual water window on the reservoir so you can accurately fill it up the best of your ability.
- There is a storage area on the device to put your excess cords in so you can keep your counter neat and tidy, free from any obstacles that you may come across.
- Fantastic “Delayed Brew” programmable option to choose when you want it to brew
- Has been a reliable brand since 1970, known throughout the country for their great products
- Very affordable
- Does everything it says it can
- Works just as well as others that are more expensive
- Cheaply made product
- You have to put the filter in just right and snap it in place, which can be hard!
You need to decide on your budget before you go looking for a coffee maker, simply because there is so much choice. Some are well over $100 and some are under $50, so it all depends what you want and how much you are willing to spend. If you establish a maximum price point that you will not spend over, then you can easily narrow down your search to a smaller group to choose from.
The reason we bring this up is because the Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker is definitely one of the most affordable coffee makers we have found. This can sometimes be a red flag, because cheaper products often don’t work as well, or they might not work at all. However, in this case it is the opposite.
The Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker is one of the best programmable coffee makers despite being a bit cheaper than many others on the market. The bottom line is it works and it works great.
This little coffee maker has the ability to be programmed for when you want your coffee done by and also offers you an easy way to take out a cup of coffee mid brew. Mr. Coffee is a brand that we greatly respect, because after 40 years of being in the business they still offer products that work well at cheaper price points.
Keurig K250 Single-Serve Programmable Coffee Maker
The second best programmable coffee maker is the Keurig K250 Single-Serve Programmable Coffee Maker. If you are looking for a reliable brand and want to keep up with the times, you need to look into Keurig for all of your coffee brewing needs.
What makes this product different? Well, instead of putting coffee beans in, you simply put a K-Cup of whatever you want it to brew. The K-Cups come in various flavours, various types of coffee, and also a lot of other drinks such as tea and hot chocolate. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
The Keurig K250 Single-Serve Programmable Coffee Maker comes with a lot of features, changing the way coffee is brewed around your house. These features include:
- One of the most slim coffee makers on the market that has an impressive sleek look
- Comes with 4 K Cup pods so you can place different flavours all at once in the K-Cup pod holder
- There is a water filter handle that is easy to fill and replace with water
- There are 2 water filters to ensure your water is safe to drink
- Comes with descaling solution in a bottle to ensure the long lifespan and optimum performance of the machine
- Equipped with a 40 oz. water reservoir so you can brew over 4 cups of coffee before you have to refill it. This saves you a lot of time, especially in the morning if you are running late.
- Water reservoir is fully removable and it is easy to use and put water into it
- You can choose the brew size of the K-Cup pods you are using from between 4, 6, 8 or 10 oz.
- The K-Cup size brews a coffee that will either be 22, 26 or 30 oz. depending on your preference
- There is a strength control setting so you can decide how strong you want your coffee to be—perfect for people who like it really strong
- Comes with a touchscreen in full black and white which makes it really easy to use and brew a coffee in no time
- Can dispense plain hot water
- There is a removable dripping tray at the base that will catch all drips—perfect for easy cleaning
- Fantastic device
- Brews great every single time
- Touch screen is easy to use
- So many options to choose from
- Fully programmable
- Higher price point
- K-Cups add to your waste
After testing out the Keurig K250 Single-Serve Programmable Coffee Maker for ourselves, we can say that we absolutely love this product and can completely understand why it is found in homes around the world!
This is definitely a new way to brew coffee. You don’t need to buy coffee grinds or work with that mess at all. You simply pop in the cup, choose your brew, and then let it pour into your cup. It has never been easier!
The only downside to the Keurig K250 Single-Serve Programmable Coffee Maker is that it is pricy compared to other programmable coffee makers on the market right now. However, it makes up for this with the amount of versatility it offers and how much space it has for the water reservoir.
We recommend trying it out for yourself so you can see if it is something that will be of interest to you!
Hamilton Beach 46205 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
The next programmable coffee maker up for review is the Hamilton Beach 46205 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker.
- One of the easiest and quickest coffee makers to use
- Perfect for beginners who have never used a coffee maker before
- Really easy to fill up and pours extremely fast
- The base is rotating, so you can get to the water reservoir easily
- The water reservoir has been placed on the back, and you just get to it by a quick twist of the hand
- There is a clock that can fully be programmed, so you can simply input the time you want your morning coffee the night before
- The brewing options are fully adjustable, and you can choose between from pouring just 1 cup to 4 cups at once
- You can also choose between bold flavour (which is extra strong and black) or just regular coffee
- The brewing basket can easily swing out by just pressing the releasing button. This ensures that you can easily fill the brew basket with your favourite ground coffee, and you do not have to wait to refill it.
- With the Hamilton Beach 46205 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker there is almost no mess, because it will pause its brewing as you grab your cup. This ensures there will never be any overflowing coffee so will be hardly any mess.
- There is a pouring spout that is fully mess-free so you can pour it easily right into the cup.
- The warming plate has a non-stick surface so it is very easy to clean and maintain for years to come.
- Fantastic price
- Great for beginners
- Easy to use
- Great look
- Adjustable brewing options are great
- The steam will wet your cabinets if it is placed underneath them
- Make sure reservoir is in place or it will brew slowly
Despite a few flaws the Hamilton Beach 46205 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is definitely one of our favourite programmable coffee makers simply because it is so easy to use for beginners. We loved that you can easily program to have coffee made for you in the morning, so you can have it ready before you leave for work.
One great thing about the Hamilton Beach 46205 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is that there is hardly any mess associated with it and it is really easy to load the coffee grounds to start brewing. Always remember not to place it under a cabinet while brewing, as the steam will make your cabinet wet and eventually ruin it!
Braun KF7150BK Brew Sense Drip Coffee Maker
Another one of the best programmable coffee makers is the Braun KF7150BK Brew Sense Drip Coffee Maker. Braun is known in the coffee maker industry for their dedication to products that actually work and also last a very long time. They make highly advanced coffee makers that have received stellar reviews from a lot of people online.
The Braun KF7150BK Brew Sense Drip Coffee Maker has been built with so many features to enhance coffee making in the morning and provide you with ways to easily make your coffee. The features include:
- Comes with the Braun exclusive pure flavouring brewing system that will ensure you have the best coffee flavour throughout your coffee
- A lot of other coffee makers simply make the first part fresh, and the rest of the part does not taste so good, but with this one it is good the whole way through.
- You can program it easily as it features a 24-hour clock which lets you choose when you want your coffee to be made for.
- You can also program it to either make 1 to 4 cups of coffee in the pot, so it is great for the whole family to use.
- There is a strength selector option that gives you the versatility to choose between either just a regular cup of coffee or a bold cup of coffee, depending on your preference.
- There are easy-to-read buttons and LED indicators so you can know when it is brewing and when it is not.
- For easy clean up, this comes with a fantastic anti-dripping system that will ensure there will never be overflow in the pot.
- You can also pause and pour the coffee pot during the brewing cycle with zero mess, and no risk of burns.
- Fantastic programming
- Very user friendly
- Great for beginners
- Can choose between 1 to 4 cups
- The indicator on the water reserve is difficult to read, and makes you think there is enough when there is not
After testing out the Braun KF7150BK Brew Sense Drip Coffee Maker for ourselves, we firmly believe that it is definitely one of the best coffee makers on the market, simply because it is so user friendly.
If this is your first time buying a coffee maker, you may want to go with the Braun KF7150BK Brew Sense Drip Coffee Maker simply because it is so intuitive, with large buttons that are easy to read. Beware of the water reserve however as we felt the indicator was sometimes off, which can be annoying.
Cuisinart DCC-3200W 14C Glass Carafe Programmable Coffeemaker
The final programmable coffee maker on our list is the Cuisinart DCC-3200W 14C Glass Carafe Programmable Coffeemaker. This is another one of the best brands as well.
- Made by one of the best brands of coffee makers on the market right now
- You can buy it in one of three colors (white, black or silver), depending on which you prefer.
- There are two options to choose from: either a 12 cup or a 14 cup. We recommend going with the 14 cup option as you will get more out of it.
- Allows you to make some of the hottest coffee as it uses some of the highest quality coffee brewing technology on the market right now
- Even though it is really hot, the machine never sacrifices flavour or overall quality of the coffee.
- One of the best things about this coffee maker is the Brew Strength Control (BSC) feature. The BSC feature allows you to either have regular or bold coffee, depending on your preference. The “Bold” option is really strong and is great for people who really love black coffee.
- This coffee maker is completely automatic and allows you to program it for 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Fantastic machine
- High quality build
- Brew pause is great
- Strength control is a fantastic feature
- One of the best there is in all aspects
- Higher priced than others on the market
After testing out the Cuisinart DCC-3200W 14C Glass Carafe Programmable Coffeemaker for ourselves, we really do think it is one of the best programmable coffeemakers on the market right now. It has everything you need in one machine and can make fantastic coffee every time.
All five of the products above are definitely some of the best programmable coffee makers on the market right now!